Connected on 2012-10-10 13:00:00 from Johnson, Kansas, United States
- Bugscope Team starting to make presets for today's session in just a minute
- Bugscope Team making presets...
- Bugscope Team we are done with presets, ready to roll!
- Bugscope Team ready to roll
- Bugscope Team thank you for calling, Vanessa!
- Bugscope Team so if you take the mag lower now you can see where you are...
- Bugscope Team this is a single wing scale from a butterfly
- Bugscope Team and this is the moth
- Bugscope Team you can see its antennae, its compound eyes...
- Guest This so coo1!!
Bugscope Team it is the most fun thing we do during the week
- Guest Are those his eye?
Bugscope Team yes they are!
- Bugscope Team you can actually send a link to this transcript to the teachers if you want
- Bugscope Team https://bugscope.beckman.illinois.edu/members/2011-156
- Guest This would make so many future scientists! Very exciting stuff!
- Guest Thanks so much for your time!
- Bugscope Team although it will be for Holy Trinity School in Kansas City
- Bugscope Team You bet. Thanks, Vanessa
- Bugscope Team I'
- Bugscope Team oops
- Bugscope Team these are called crochets
- Bugscope Team the little hooks caterpillars use to help cling to leaves
- Guest I am showing all the guys at work - tv production people
- Bugscope Team awesome
- Bugscope Team if someone wants to drive, no problem
- Bugscope Team we started this in the beginning of 1999 and have done 650 to 700 sessions, all over the world
- Bugscope Team but mostly in the U.S.
- Bugscope Team you
- Bugscope Team are driving a $600,000 scanning electron microscope
- Bugscope Team in the basement of the Beckman Institute at the U of Illinois, in the serious middle of nowhere
- Bugscope Team when we use the microscope for Bugscope we work at a longer distance from the sample than we would for normal research
- Bugscope Team that is so we have the ability to take the mag fairly low as well as high -- so the students can see more of the sample at one time at low mag
- Guest How long are the sessions? One hour?
Bugscope Team sometimes there will be three classes at 20 minutes, each, sometimes one for 45 min or so
- Guest How many people work on this project?
Bugscope Team sometimes, like today, it's just me. Cate is on vacation, and we have grad student entomologists who get on when they have time
- Bugscope Team so I am Scot and SEM and sj
- Bugscope Team it's good to have Cate on because she's a good role model
- Guest I am logging off but this is so motivating!
Bugscope Team totally cool --Thank You
- Bugscope Team I'm logging off as well....
- Bugscope Team over and out...